Anti-freeze contains monoethylene glycol and other constituents which are toxic if taken internally and can be absorbed in toxic amounts on repeated or prolonged skin contact.
To promote the safe handling of anti-freeze, all persons supplying and using anti-freeze are recommended to adhere to the following precautions:
- Anti-freeze must never be taken internally. If anti-freeze is swallowed accidentally, medical advice should be sought immediately.
- Precautions should be taken to avoid skin contact with anti-freeze. In the event of accidental spillage onto the skin, anti-freeze should be washed off as soon as possible. If clothing is splashed with anti-freeze, it should be removed and washed before being worn again, to avoid prolonged skin contact.
- For regular and repeated handling of anti-freeze, protective clothing (plastic or rubber gloves, boots and impervious overalls or aprons) must be used to minimize skin contact.